Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis can sue charter flight company -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis can sue charter flight company
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 07:19:40
BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers representing migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard nearly two years ago by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis can Rekubit Exchangesue the charter flight company that transported them to the island off the Massachusetts coast, according to a ruling Monday by a federal judge in Boston.
The 50 Venezuelans were sent to Martha’s Vineyard from San Antonio, Texas, and had been promised work and housing opportunities.
Under Monday’s ruling, the migrants can proceed with their suit against Florida-based Vertol Systems Co., which had agreed to fly them to the island for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
An email to the company seeking comment after the afternoon release of the ruling was not immediately returned.
Also named in the suit is DeSantis, who ran unsuccessfully for the Republican nomination for president before dropping out in January.
The U.S. District Court of Massachusetts said in its ruling that it does not have jurisdiction over DeSantis in this case.
The court, however, found that the facts of the case “taken together, support an inference that Vertol and the other Defendants specifically targeted Plaintiffs because they were Latinx immigrants.”
The DeSantis administration noted that the judges’ order dismissed the state defendants.
“As we’ve always stated, the flights were conducted lawfully and authorized by the Florida Legislature,” Julia Friedland, the deputy press secretary for DeSantis, said in a statement. “We look forward to Florida’s next illegal immigrant relocation flight, and we are glad to bring national attention to the crisis at the southern border.”
The court also said that “Unlike ICE agents legitimately enforcing the country’s immigration laws ... the Court sees no legitimate purpose for rounding up highly vulnerable individuals on false pretenses and publicly injecting them into a divisive national debate.”
Iván Espinoza-Madrigal, executive director of Lawyers for Civil Rights, called the 77-page ruling a major victory in the Martha’s Vineyard case.
He said in a statement that the ruling sends the message that private companies can be held accountable for helping rogue state actors violate the rights of vulnerable immigrants through what it characterized as illegal and fraudulent schemes.
veryGood! (528)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- A police officer who was critically wounded by gunfire has been released from the hospital
- Blinken: U.S. expects accountability from India after Canada accuses it of being involved in death of Sikh activist
- Oregon man convicted of murder in fatal shooting of sheriff’s deputy in Washington state
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Safe Haven Baby Box used in New Mexico for 1st time as newborn boy dropped off at a fire station
- How Ariana Grande's Inner Circle Feels About Ethan Slater Romance
- How NPR covered the missionary who ran a center for malnourished kids where 105 died
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Film academy gifts a replacement of Hattie McDaniel’s historic Oscar to Howard University
Ranking
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Jill Biden unveils dedicated showcase of art by military children in the White House East Wing
- Could LIV Golf event at Doral be last for Saudi-backed league at Donald Trump course?
- Some Lahaina residents return to devastated homes after wildfires: It's unrecognizable
- Sam Taylor
- Delaware trooper facing felony charges involving assaults on teens after doorbell prank at his house
- 8 Mile Actor Nashawn Breedlove Dead at 46
- Swiss indict a former employee of trading firm Gunvor over bribes paid in Republic of Congo
Recommendation
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
Kim Zolciak Files to Dismiss Kroy Biermann Divorce for a Second Time Over NSFW Reason
Notre Dame football has a new plan to avoid future game-losing scenarios after Ohio State
Wisconsin woman gets life without parole for killing and dismembering ex-boyfriend
FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
Latino charitable giving rates drop sharply — but that’s not the full story
United Farm Workers endorses Biden, says he’s an ‘authentic champion’ for workers and their families
House GOP prepares four spending bills as shutdown uncertainty grows